EMDR Therapy Basic Training
By Kathleen Martin, LCSW
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy is an empirically validated psychotherapy to treat PTSD and trauma-related disorders. It has been applied to a wide range of presenting problems and self-esteem issues. The International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies (ISTSS), the Department of Veterans Affairs and DOD, The American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association have listed EMDR therapy as efficacious in the treatment of PTSD. (For more information, go to www.emdr.com/efficacy.htm).
Here are highlights of this 62-hour course:
- Individualized attention in a small training group: One instructor per 10 students.
- 62 training hours over time to support mastery
- Ample time for supervised practice with direct observation and feedback
- Approved by the EMDR International Association, the accrediting and membership agency for EMDR
- Case consultation to integrate your EMDR skills into your clinical practice
Completion of this course will prepare you to safely and effectively apply EMDR therapy in a variety of clinical applications
Course Objective: To prepare mental health clinicians to successfully implement EMDR Therapy with their clients.
Course Method: This 62-hour course has 3 components:
- Instructional: 27 hours of lecture, discussion, live demonstrations, video tapes, and Q&A. Points covered will include:
- EMDR Therapy's history, model, methodology and mechanisms of action
- EMDR Therapy Case Conceptualization and treatment planning
- EMDR Therapy 8 Phase Standard Protocol
- EMDR Therapy's Protocols for specific clinical populations
- Supervised Practice: 25 hours of experiential exercises and supervised practice to learn and fine-tune EMDR Therapy skills.
- Consultation: 10 case consultation hours of EMDR treatment in your practice.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will:
- Be able to incorporate the practice of EMDR Therapy in your work with a range of clients.
- Be eligible to:
- Apply for membership to EMDRIA
- Apply for EMDRIA Certification in EMDR Therapy after completing all necessary requirements (see www.emdria.org)
- Attend advanced trainings in EMDR Therapy
Eligibility & Expectations For Participation
- Master's degree or higher in a field of mental health counseling.
- License or certificate as a mental health professional. Residents/interns/ graduate students about to complete a course of study that will lead to full credentials as licensed mental health professionals may participate. *
- Attendance at all sessions and participation in all experiential learning.
- Read Francine Shapiro's textbook: Shapiro, F. (2018). Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, Basic Principles, Protocols and Procedures. (3rd ed.). New York: The Guilford Press.
- Read Francine Shapiro's self-help book for EMDR: Shapiro, F. (2012). Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-help Techniques from EMDR Therapy. Rodale Press, NY
- Read any other assigned materials.
- Successful completion of proficiency requirements.
- Apply the EMDR Therapy methodology with clients in your clinical setting throughout the course.
- Present at least 2 cases in the Consultation sessions which include EMDR sessions focusing on trauma reprocessing.
- Trainees are required to complete the entire program to receive a certificate of completion. Approval of partial program will not be granted.
*For more information regarding these requirements, please go to www.emdria.org and click on Training and Certification/Basic EMDR Therapy Training Eligibility Requirements.
EMDR Therapy Basic Training Schedule
All times are in EST
Part One: September 16-19, 2021
|Thursday||September 16:||1:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. EST|
|Friday||September 17:||9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST|
|Saturday||September 18:||9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST|
|Sunday||September 19:||9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. EST|
Mid-Training Practicum Session:
|Thursday||October 28:||5:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. EST|
Case Consultation (this will occur in a group format through Zoom or telephone)
|Thursday||October 14:||5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. EST|
|Thursday||November 18:||5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. EST|
|Thursday||January 13:||5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. EST|
|Thursday||February 17:||5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. EST|
|Thursday||March 31:||5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. EST|
Part Two: November 11-12, 2021
|Thursday||November 11:||1:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m. EST|
|Friday||November 12:||9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. EST|
|Saturday||November 13:||9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. EST|
|Sunday||November 14:||9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. EST|
Final Training Session
|Thursday||April 7:||5:00 p.m.- 7:30 p.m. EST|
A certificate of completion of the EMDR Therapy Basic Training will be given after full participation and completion of the above attendance and proficiency requirements.
Additional Required Training
In addition to the above schedule, all participants are expected to attend a 3-lecture series on treating complex trauma with EMDR therapy by Kathleen Martin in January, 2022. A deep discount will be offered to EMDR Therapy Basic Training attendees of $295 (USD). The tentative dates for these lectures are January 7, 8 and 21, 2022. These lectures will be online, 4 hours each, and will be recorded. If you can't attend a live lecture you will have 30 days to watch the recording. There is not enough time in the basic training to include this body of knowledge so it is being offered as an additional component to the basic training. This body of knowledge and skill is imperative for all EMDR therapists. Registration for this lecture series will occur separately in the fall of 2021.
This training will occur online. You will need a device (phone is not recommend) to connect to the video conferencing system with enough bandwidth to maintain a good connection. You will also need privacy to maintain confidentiality. A head set with a microphone is highly recommended as it provides better incoming and outgoing sound and prevents others in your environment to hear the confidential information. A wired headset is preferable over a Bluetooth headset due to intermittent loss of Bluetooth connections.
The cost of this individualized comprehensive training program is $2095 (USD) if paid by July 31, 2021. After July 31, 2021 the cost increases to $2400 (USD). This cost includes the required 10 hours of case consultation. Full payment or a deposit of $1000 is required to reserve your space in the training. If you need a payment installment plan please contact Kathleen Martin. Payment can be made online at time of registration through PayPal or by check or money order (USD) through the land mail system. If you are already trained in EMDR Therapy by an EMDRIA approved EMDR therapy trainer, you will receive a 50% discount on the cost of this training. Taking the Basic Training again will solidify your skills and you will learn EMDR Therapy at a deeper level. It is highly recommended that all EMDR therapists retake the Basic Training at some point in their EMDR Therapy career to protect against "protocol drift", refresh skills, and learn the new developments as the therapy evolves.
Refund PolicyA full refund will be given up to 30 days prior to the start of the training minus a $200 processing fee. After that, a full refund minus a $200 processing fee will be given if the space can be filled by someone on the waiting list. Requests for refunds must be in writing. Funds may be transferred to another basic training by Kathleen Martin if available.
To register and pay via by check or money order (USD) please click here:
For more information, contact Kathleen Martin:
Completion of this course will prepare you to safely and effectively apply EMDR in a variety of clinical applications.